The Chemical Club:An Early Nineteenth-Century Scientific Dining Club

Lacey, Andrew Peter (2018) The Chemical Club:An Early Nineteenth-Century Scientific Dining Club. Ambix, 64 (3). pp. 263-282. ISSN 0002-6980

Full text not available from this repository.

Abstract

The Chemical Club (fl. 1806–1828) was a small scientific dining club in London. Among its members were Sir Humphry Davy, William Hyde Wollaston, and Alexander Marcet, and similarly accomplished men of science, including John Dalton, Jöns Jacob Berzelius, and Augustin Pyramus de Candolle, came occasionally as guests to its meetings. This article, drawing on the unpublished papers of Lionel Felix Gilbert, as well as a range of contemporary sources in print and manuscript, presents the first substantial history of the Chemical Club, and situates it in the context of the scientific and social networks of the period. It aims to enrich our understanding of the scientific culture of the early nineteenth century in Britain by tracing the Club’s influence on, or connection to, some of the most pioneering and transformative scientific work of the first quarter of the 1800s, such as the discovery of nitrogen trichloride, the invention of the miners’ safety lamp, and Hans Christian Ørsted’s work on electromagnetism.

Item Type:
Journal Article
Journal or Publication Title:
Ambix
Uncontrolled Keywords:
/dk/atira/pure/subjectarea/asjc/2700
Subjects:
ID Code:
87974
Deposited By:
Deposited On:
06 Oct 2017 19:36
Refereed?:
Yes
Published?:
Published
Last Modified:
20 Oct 2020 05:23