HerMES: The Contribution to the Cosmic Infrared Background from Galaxies Selected by Mass and Redshift

Viero, M. P. and Moncelsi, L. and Quadri, R. F. and Arumugam, V. and Assef, R. J. and Béthermin, M. and Bock, J. and Bridge, C. and Casey, C. M. and Conley, A. and Cooray, A. and Farrah, D. and Glenn, J. and Heinis, S. and Ibar, E. and Ikarashi, S. and Ivison, R. J. and Kohno, K. and Marsden, G. and Oliver, S. J. and Roseboom, I. G. and Schulz, B. and Scott, D. and Serra, P. and Vaccari, M. and Vieira, J. D. and Wang, L. and Wardlow, J. and Wilson, G. W. and Yun, M. S. and Zemcov, M. (2013) HerMES: The Contribution to the Cosmic Infrared Background from Galaxies Selected by Mass and Redshift. The Astrophysical Journal, 779 (1). p. 32. ISSN 0004-637X

[thumbnail of pdf]
Other (pdf)

Download (2MB)


We quantify the fraction of the cosmic infrared background (CIB) that originates from galaxies identified in the UV/optical/near-infrared by stacking 81,250 (~35.7 arcmin-2) K-selected sources (K AB <24.0) split according to their rest-frame U - V versus V - J colors into 72,216 star-forming and 9034 quiescent galaxies, on maps from Spitzer/MIPS (24 μm), Herschel/PACS (100, 160 μm), Herschel/SPIRE (250, 350, 500 μm), and AzTEC (1100 μm). The fraction of the CIB resolved by our catalog is (69% ± 15%) at 24 μm, (78% ± 17%) at 70 μm, (58% ± 13%) at 100 μm, (78% ± 18%) at 160 μm, (80% ± 17%) at 250 μm, (69% ± 14%) at 350 μm, (65% ± 12%) at 500 μm, and (45% ± 8%) at 1100 μm. Of that total, about 95% originates from star-forming galaxies, while the remaining 5% is from apparently quiescent galaxies. The CIB at λ ~ 200 μm the bulk originates from 1 350 μm. The contribution from galaxies in the log(M/M ⊙) = 9.0-9.5 (lowest) and log(M/M ⊙) = 11.0-12.0 (highest) stellar-mass bins contribute the least—both of order 5%—although the highest stellar-mass bin is a significant contributor to the luminosity density at z >~ 2. The luminosities of the galaxies responsible for the CIB shifts from combinations of "normal" and luminous infrared galaxies (LIRGs) at λ ~ 500 μm. Stacking analyses were performed using SIMSTACK, a novel algorithm designed to account for possible biases in the stacked flux density due to clustering. It is made available to the public at Herschel is an ESA space observatory with science instruments provided by European-led Principal Investigator consortia and with important participation from NASA.

Item Type:
Journal Article
Journal or Publication Title:
The Astrophysical Journal
Uncontrolled Keywords:
?? cosmology: observationsgalaxies: evolutioninfrared: galaxieslarge-scale structure of universesubmillimeter: galaxiesastronomy and astrophysicsspace and planetary science ??
ID Code:
Deposited By:
Deposited On:
07 Nov 2018 10:16
Last Modified:
12 Apr 2024 00:34